Countable And Uncountable Nouns: Meaning, List, Rules, Uses With Examples (Hindi)
A Noun can be Countable or Uncountable, Compare,
|There are some apples in the bag.||Can I have some water?|
|I ate an apple.||He ate rice.|
Countable Noun: Countable Nouns are those which can be counted.
They have both singular and plural and they can be introduced by determiners that make distinctions in one and more than one.
वैसे सभी Nouns जिनकी गणना की जा सकती है, Countable Nouns कहा जाता है.
Countable Nouns Singular एवं Plural दोनों हो सकते हैं, जिन्हें निर्धारित करने के लिए प्रायः Determiners का प्रयोग किया जाता है.
Countable Noun Examples
Five mangoes, Some pencils, A teacher, All houses, and Several birds.
Uncountable Noun: Uncountable Nouns indicate things that cannot be counted.
They are singular in form and, therefore, they always take singular verbs with them.
वैसे Nouns जिनकी गणना नहीं की जा सकती है, Uncountable Nouns कहा जाता है.
UnCountable Nouns प्रायः Singular Form में होते हैं, जिन्हें निर्धारित करने के लिए ऐसे Nouns के साथ Singular Verbs का प्रयोग किया जाता है.
- Time is precious.
- Music gives some rest to the mind.
- Drinking water is costly in some countries.
Note: Some, Any, Much and Little are some of the determiners which are used with uncountable nouns, i.e.
- He has some knowledge of French.
- I have little hope of his survival.
- The Ambani brothers have a lot of money.
- Is there any water in the jar?
How to Identify Countable and Uncountable Nouns
We can divide Uncountable Nouns into several categories. These are words that are often used with Uncountable meanings.
Sometimes they can be changed in meaning to be used in singular and plural forms.
Uncountable Noun Examples
- Abstract Nouns: Justice, Bravery, Happiness, Poverty, Liberty, Sweetness.
- Things that come in very small pieces: Rice, Salt, Sugar, etc.
- Liquids: Water, Milk, Oil, Petrol, Diesel, Blood, etc.
- Gases: Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc.
- Activities and Sports: Cricket, Hockey, Knitting, Football, Fishing, Shopping, etc.
- Diseases: Fever, Measles, Mumps, Smallpox, etc.
- Solids & Materials: Iron, Steel, Gold, Silver, Mercury, Ice, etc.
- Names of subjects of study: History, Physics, Accounting, Biology, Mathematics, Linguistics, etc.
- The whole is made up of similar parts: Sets of things: Furniture, Wood, Luggage, Jewellery, Equipment, etc.
Some Uncountable Nouns can be made plural by using expressions like a cup of tea, two pieces of furniture, etc,
Uncountable Nouns List
Study The Given List of Uncountable Nouns
|a game of chess||a glass of water|
|a bit of luck||a lump of sugar|
|a piece of luggage||an article on furniture|
|a piece of advice||a piece of research|
|a piece of equipment||a piece of news|
|a blade of grass||a piece of rubbish|
|a piece of information||a piece of work|
|a flash of lightning||a clap of thunder|
|a piece of bread.||a ton of coal|
|a piece of baggage||a pound of sugar|
Some Nouns can be countable or uncountable with different meanings
|I have an electric iron.||This rod is made of iron.|
|Switch off all the lights.||There isn’t adequate light in this office.|
|Can you buy me some paper?||I need some paper to write.|
|I run a small business.||I have a good mind for business.|
|Bring me a glass of milk.||Glass is not a good conductor of electricity.|
Some Nouns can be either countable or uncountable, depending on the situation
|She gave me a mango||Mango is my favorite fruit|
|She lives a happy life||Life is long|
|The child threw a stone at the dog||The house is built of stone|
|My two favorite fruits are apples and bananas||Fruit is necessary for good health|
|Do not make a noise in the class||Constant noise can make you deaf|
Worksheet on Countable And Uncountable Nouns
Worksheet: 1 Use the following nouns in your sentences & say whether they are Countable or Uncountable, depending on the context:
Worksheet: 2 Some Nouns are given below, Use expressions like a piece of to make them Countable and use them in your sentences:
Worksheet: 3 Say if the words in italics in the following sentences are Countable or Uncountable:
- Spanish is difficult to understand.
- Give the child a mango.
- Time doesn’t wait for anyone.
- Would you take some ice cream, please?
- One should do one’s work with honesty.
- There is an American in our school.
- Labour never goes in vain.
- Contentment brings happiness.
- I need some sugar in my coffee.
Worksheet: 4 Choose the correct form for each:
- Do you have bike/ a bike?
- Painting / a painting is brown’s hobby.
- Models wear much/ many jewellery.
- Bill Gates has much/ many money.
- Mr. Singh has done many/ much research on this topic.
- The postman has bought letter / a letter for you.
- While driving the car he met with an accident/ accident.
Countable And Uncountable Nouns FAQs
Difference Between Countable and Uncountable Nouns
Countable Nouns are those which can be counted and Uncountable Nouns indicate things that cannot be counted.
What are Countable Noun Examples
A teacher, All houses, Several birds, Four mangoes, Some pencils, etc.
What are Uncountable Noun Examples
Water, Milk, Bravery, Happiness, Oxygen, Football, Iron, Accounting, Wood, Luggage, etc.
Countable And Uncountable Nouns (List, Rules, Uses With Examples & Worksheet)
इस प्रकार, ऊपर वर्णित Countable and Uncountable Noun के प्रकार एवं उनके सही उपयोग के नियमों को ध्यान में रखते हुए आप परीक्षा में पूछे जानेवाले प्रश्नों के सही उत्तर दे पाने में सक्षम हो पायेंगे.
इसके अतिरिक्त भी अन्य नियमों का उल्लेख आगे के Chapter में किया जाएगा, अगर आपको यह जानकारी उपयोगी लगी, तो इसे Facebook एवं Whatsapp Group पर अपने प्रतिस्पर्धी दोस्तों के साथ अवश्य शेयर करें…