Parts of Speech Definition
Parts of speech or the “word classes” are the classes into which words are divided according to their function in a sentence.
Words are divided into different kinds or classes according to the work they do in a sentence.
The particular work which a word does is called its function.
There are eight different types of parts of speech, which are:
Parts of Speech Definitions and Examples
A Noun is a word used to name a person, place, animal, state, or thing.
- Rohit Sharma is a famous cricketer.
- He lives in Mumbai.
- The child was excited to see the Lion.
- The leopard is the fastest animal on the earth.
- He has lost his mobile.
A Pronoun is a word used in place of a Noun.
- Rohit likes to read, he likes to read biographies.
- Mitali is a cricketer, she has visited many countries.
A Verb is a word used to say something about some person, place, or thing.
The Verb is a doing word.
- My mother goes to the temple every day.
- Kritika is a good student.
An Adjective is a word used to add something to the meaning of a Noun or, Pronoun.
An Adjective is a word that qualifies as a Noun or, Pronoun.
- Tom is an intelligent student.
- Mr. Jack is a strict trainer.
An Adverb is a word used to modify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.
- The old woman is walking slowly.
- She is quite right.
- He speaks very loudly.
A Preposition is a word used with a Noun or Pronoun to indicate its relation to some other words in a sentence.
- The cat is under the chair.
- The frog jumped into the well.
A Conjunction is a word used to combine words, phrases, or sentences.
- My sister likes ice creme but I love to eat pizza.
- India and China should maintain peace.
- India and USA are large democratic countries.
An Interjection is a word used to express some sudden feeling.
- How brave she is!
- Alas! the cruel hunter killed the deer.
- Bravo! You have won the game.
Parts of Speech FAQs
What are parts of speech in English Grammar?
Parts of Speech are the classes into which various categories of words are divided according to their function in a sentence.
How many types of parts of speech in English Grammar
There are 8 types of parts of speech in English: